Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Let the Games Begin!

Like many students in this world, my class has a serious love for playing games.  Yes, they may be educational, but they are games none the less.  

Math is the easiest classes to create a game for.  A lot of times I incorporate math games into centers and allow them to play games in small groups.  It is really difficult to find a game that the whole class can do and keep some kind of order.  Around the world and bingo are some of the easy ones to do as a class, but do get boring after a while.  One game that we play as a class just for fun is couch. This is a game my husband taught me at his school, and I have no idea whe he got it from.  The students all get different names of others in the class.  Then they ask, who has....and name someone else in the class.  Four people start on the "couch", 2 boys and 2 girls.  The goal is to get either all girls or all boys on the couch.  This is a great game for memory practice.  

Despite the fact that this game can get boring after a while, my classes love to play it.  I told them that we could play it more if we could make it educational.  The were thinng of many different ways to do this with math, a great idea came to me.  We were studying prime numbers, and coloring a 100 square, when I thought it would be a great way for the students to remember the prime numbers.  Rather than using the names of the students I listed the prime numbers up to the 60's.  They had to remember all of the prime numbers instead of the names of their classmates.  I loved playing it this way, and will be thinking of more fun ways to incorporate math and games.  


No comments:

Post a Comment